Belleville Farming and Agricultural Accidents Attorneys
When You’re Hurt at Work, We May Be Able to Help
Perhaps no other industry is as vital to the human race as farming. American agriculture feeds our country, as well as a good part of the rest of the world. Unfortunately, farming and agriculture are some of the most dangerous jobs a person can have.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the fatality rate for agricultural workers is seven times higher than that for workers in all other private industries. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that in 2015, 401 farm workers died from a work-related injury.
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a farming or agricultural accident, you need to contact an experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorney. The law firm of Hipskind & McAninch, LLC, is located in the heart of America’s heartland, where farming and agriculture is a way of life. We take the plight of agricultural workers seriously and will fight to get you and your family the compensation you deserve. Call a Belleville personal injury lawyer at (618) 641-9189 for a free case evaluation.
Why Is Agricultural Work So Dangerous?There are many reasons why agricultural work is dangerous, including:
The Most Common Farming and Agricultural Accidents
The following are the top causes of farming and agricultural injuries:
- Tractor rollovers: Tractor rollovers are the number one cause of farming fatalities. Approximately 100 American farmers are killed each year by tractor rollovers.
- Falls: Falls from structures, farm equipment, ladders, etc.
- Farm machinery entanglements: A frequent cause of dismemberment, permanent injury, and death.
- Suffocation: Falling into grain silos and bins, and working in confined spaces contaminated with toxic chemical fumes, carbon monoxide, or manure gas are common causes of suffocation.
Liability and Compensation in Agricultural Accidents
Getting compensation after being injured in a farming accidents can be complicated. In Illinois, farm owners aren’t required to carry workers’ compensation unless their employees work at least 400 days per quarter year. So if a farm owner has five employees working five days a week (5 employees x 5 days per week x 12 weeks in a quarter = 300 days), he would not be required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. When workers’ compensation isn’t available, claims may be made against the following parties:
- The company that manages or operates the farm
- The manufacturer of farm machinery if that machinery is defective or does not have adequate warnings
- The manufacturer of a toxic substance, such as pesticide or fertilizer
- The construction companies that build defective barns, silos, and other farm structures
- An independent contractor or subcontractor
- A farm owner or manager who:
- Removes safety devices from a piece of machinery or equipment
- Doesn’t properly train workers to use machinery or equipment
- Continues to use a faulty or broken piece of machinery or equipment
- Knowingly hires an incompetent subcontractor
- Provides a subcontractor with flawed designs, plans, or specifications
- Hires a subcontractor for a task that is inherently dangerous
As you can see, farming and agricultural claims are complex, which is why you need a skilled legal team on your side if you want to get the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys at our Belleville law office of Hipskind & McAninch, LLC, will take a personal interest in your case and stay in constant communication with you until it’s complete. John Hipskind and Brady McAninch will even give you their personal cell phone numbers so you can reach them at any time.
At Hipskind & McAninch, LLC, you pay no upfront fees, and we only get paid if we win you compensation in your claim. If you have any further questions, call (618) 641-9189 for a free consultation.
- Agricultural Safety - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic
- Safety and Health Topics - Agricultural Operations - OSHA
We’ll talk about your options, and
get you the justice you deserve.
Discuss your options with
the H&M team, free.
…Brady was easy to communicate with and available to speak with during non-business hours…
- Cassandra Sissom on google
…He educated me on my options so I could make the best decision for me and my family…
- Lashone Muldrow on google
…To say he works hard to ensure the rights of his clients are upheld is an understatement…
- Eleanor Stegall-Hughes on google
…John was a Godsend for me. He worked with me on my divorce and got me everything I needed…
- Jennifer Poenitske on google
…Brady was easy to talk to and made sure I knew everything about the case as it progressed…
- Nicholas Gaebe on google
…Truly the best help I have ever received and I couldn’t be more thankful for your dedication…
- Jordan Vartanian on google
…I couldn't have had a better person to help me out in such a critical matter…
- Dane Stotts on google
…He helped me and my wife with a case we thought we would never win. Thank you very much…
- Branden Honchel on google
…All of my goals were achieved in such a timely, professional, friendly, and diplomatic manner…
- Michael Lirios on google
…It makes you feel good when your attorney listens and takes your opinion into consideration…
- Sharon Miller on google
…I will absolutely use this firm should I need additional representation in the future…
- Lisa Kortkamp on google
…Takes a personal interest in your case with speedy results. Very much appreciated…
- Vanessa Johnson on google