What to Do After a Car Accident?
A car accident can happen to anyone. When it does, few people know what to do! Often people get out of their vehicles, have a brief exchange, even yell at each other and drive away. Sometimes they don’t realize that valuable witnesses to the accident may be disappearing down the street, or that their emotional exchanges could be used against them in court.
There are a few things you should and shouldn’t do immediately after a car accident if you were injured due to the fault of someone else. To ensure you have all the information you need to file an injury claim, protect its value, get more compensation even after fees, and save yourself a lot of stress, take the following step
- If someone’s been injured, call the police and arrange transportation to the hospital.
- Even if no one’s been hurt, you should contact the police to report the accident. It’s also helpful to have a police record of the accident if your injury doesn’t present itself until a day or more after.
- Don’t move your vehicle unless it’s blocking traffic and may cause another accident. You want the police to see the accident scene.
- Get the contact information of the other driver(s), any passengers, and witnesses of the accident. People often forget about passengers and witnesses, but the information they provide can make a big difference in the claim process.
- Write down the license plate numbers of the vehicle(s) involved. The more information you collect the easier it will be to file a successful claim.
- Ask the other driver(s) for their insurance information. Be sure to note the name of their insurer as well as their policy number.
- Make a note of any statements made by those involved, especially if someone implied or admitted fault. People often change their story as time passes and having a written record of words exchanged can be very useful.
- Take pictures of the accident scene from far away and up close.
- If you start experiencing pain or have other health problems after the accident make a medical appointment as soon as possible. Injuries can worsen a few hours or even days after the event. You don’t want the insurance company to accuse you of exaggerating about an injury because you didn’t bother to see a doctor.
- Continue treatment until you are back to normal.
It’s a lot to remember, especially when you’re in shock from all the commotion. You may want to print theses instructions and keep them in your glove box. Hopefully you won’t need them, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
If you were recently injured in a car accident but neglected to take the steps outlined above, the best thing you can do is see a doctor and contact a personal injury lawyer to learn your rights.
In the days and months following your accident, make sure to keep receipts for all expenses related to the accident. You should also follow up with the responding police officer’s report to confirm who has been found to be at fault for the accident, and request a copy of the Collision Report. Start a pain journal that keeps track of any symptoms experienced and medical appointments attended. This record will be very helpful to your injury claim.
Not every car accident case needs an injury lawyer. If your case is minor, you can probably handle your own injury claim and negotiate a small settlement in compensation.
The tricky part, however, is knowing whether your case is minor or not. Often, you can’t tell at the start of a claim how difficult your case may get. If you’re unsure, feel free to contact an experienced car accident attorney at Hipskind & McAninch, LLC, at 618-641-9189 and we’ll give you a straight answer on a no obligation basis.
Contact a personal injury lawyer if you know right away that your injury is serious and affecting your day-to-day life. An injury lawyer will likely be able to get you more compensation than you’d be able to get for yourself even after fees, and they’ll remove a lot of stress and frustration from a rather complicated process.
We provide FREE initial consultations for people involved in car accidents. We understand the unique issues involved in these cases and bring over a decade of experience that enables us to help people with increasingly complex legal needs.
We’ll talk about your options, and
get you the justice you deserve.
Discuss your options with
the H&M team, free.
…Brady was easy to communicate with and available to speak with during non-business hours…
- Cassandra Sissom on google
…He educated me on my options so I could make the best decision for me and my family…
- Lashone Muldrow on google
…To say he works hard to ensure the rights of his clients are upheld is an understatement…
- Eleanor Stegall-Hughes on google
…John was a Godsend for me. He worked with me on my divorce and got me everything I needed…
- Jennifer Poenitske on google
…Brady was easy to talk to and made sure I knew everything about the case as it progressed…
- Nicholas Gaebe on google
…Truly the best help I have ever received and I couldn’t be more thankful for your dedication…
- Jordan Vartanian on google
…I couldn't have had a better person to help me out in such a critical matter…
- Dane Stotts on google
…He helped me and my wife with a case we thought we would never win. Thank you very much…
- Branden Honchel on google
…All of my goals were achieved in such a timely, professional, friendly, and diplomatic manner…
- Michael Lirios on google
…It makes you feel good when your attorney listens and takes your opinion into consideration…
- Sharon Miller on google
…I will absolutely use this firm should I need additional representation in the future…
- Lisa Kortkamp on google
…Takes a personal interest in your case with speedy results. Very much appreciated…
- Vanessa Johnson on google