Powdered Alcohol, Police Body Cameras, DUIs, and Pumpkin Pie? Read about the new Illinois laws that could impact you.
Last Thursday and Friday, as we all celebrated the New Year with family and friends, over two hundred new Illinois laws took effect. These new laws, despite little fanfare or publication, could have a significant impact on your life. Here are just a few of the new laws that took went into effect last on January 1, 2016:
- Powdered Alcohol: Palcohol, or powered alcohol, a substance regularly used to spike drinks has been banned in the state of Illinois.
- DUIs: State residents who have been convicted of four DUIs or more will be required to use an interlock device, a breath-testing apparatus that will estimate the driver’s blood alcohol level before the vehicle can be turned on, for the rest of their lives.
- Police Body Cameras: While police departments are not required to use body cameras, there are now statewide regulations for those that do. Notably, officers will have to keep their cameras on while conducting most law enforcement activities. There are certain exceptions regarding confidential informants
- Underage Drinking: Anyone underage drinker who calls 911 for a friend in medical need will have immunity from any criminal charges.
- High-School Concussions: Illinois schools are now mandated to have concussion-oversight teams to develop protocols for student athletes who suffer a concussion.
- Synthetic Marijuana: Synthetic marijuana, also known as K2, is now illegal and one may not possess, distribute, or manufacture it or any chemical analogs.
- No-Fault Divorces: All fault-based grounds for divorce have been eliminated so that the only divorce available is a no-fault divorce.
- Grandparents and Adoption: The Illinois Adoption Act has been amended to give birth grandparents access to the adoption registry and a confidential intermediary.
- 911 Prank Calls: Calling 911 without a legitimate reason can now cost up to $10,000 in fines.
- Pumpkin Pie: Pumpkin pie is now the state’s official pie because we produce more pumpkin pies than any other state in America.
These are just a few of the hundreds of laws that changed in Illinois on January 1, 2016. State and federal laws are constantly evolving and it is important to stay cognizant of any changes that may alter the way you live your life or run your business.
If you have a question about any of these changes or any other potential legal issues, contact us immediately for a FREE consultation and you will have the opportunity to speak with one of the experienced attorneys at Hipskind & McAninch, LLC. Contact us today at: 618.641.9189 | 314.242.2930 | email@example.com
We’ll talk about your options, and
get you the justice you deserve.
Discuss your options with
the H&M team, free.
…Brady was easy to communicate with and available to speak with during non-business hours…
- Cassandra Sissom on google
…He educated me on my options so I could make the best decision for me and my family…
- Lashone Muldrow on google
…To say he works hard to ensure the rights of his clients are upheld is an understatement…
- Eleanor Stegall-Hughes on google
…John was a Godsend for me. He worked with me on my divorce and got me everything I needed…
- Jennifer Poenitske on google
…Brady was easy to talk to and made sure I knew everything about the case as it progressed…
- Nicholas Gaebe on google
…Truly the best help I have ever received and I couldn’t be more thankful for your dedication…
- Jordan Vartanian on google
…I couldn't have had a better person to help me out in such a critical matter…
- Dane Stotts on google
…He helped me and my wife with a case we thought we would never win. Thank you very much…
- Branden Honchel on google
…All of my goals were achieved in such a timely, professional, friendly, and diplomatic manner…
- Michael Lirios on google
…It makes you feel good when your attorney listens and takes your opinion into consideration…
- Sharon Miller on google
…I will absolutely use this firm should I need additional representation in the future…
- Lisa Kortkamp on google
…Takes a personal interest in your case with speedy results. Very much appreciated…
- Vanessa Johnson on google